Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Post 4: Supreme Court Shenanigans

So I apologize in advance for switching from topic to topic like this. I honestly am not ADD. But I do find a broad range of political topics interesting.

I was reminded at dinner today how much more closely I need to be following elections locally. I don’t even know who is running for Congress in my district. That, I realize, is a huge problem. If I consider myself to be interested in politics, what about the people who don’t consider themselves interested in politics at all?

That said, I will keep in step with my spastic blogs and discuss the short list for the Supreme Court.

Justice John Paul Stevens is set to retire at the end of this term, and seven candidates are vying for his position. Granted, it is time for the guy to go. He’s 90, for goodness’ sakes. He’s been there 34 years.

At this point, it’s basically choosing the least of the evils. All of them are liberal leaning, if not liberal the core.

Diane Wood has opposed some abortion restrictions and opposed conservative judges. Jennifer Granholm twice vetoed bans on partial-birth abortion. Janet Napolitano is straight up supportive of abortion rights. And that’s just a few of their doings in former and current positions.

Abortion is undoubtedly one of the biggest topics out there right now. And it’s frightening to think that these are the types of people with the potential of having one of the most powerful positions in the nation.

And it’s frightening that Obama, in such a short period of time, has the shot to appoint two Supreme Court justices.

It’ll be interesting to see how much Republicans backfire once a new liberal judge is appointed – it will happen.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2010/04/09/us/politics/20100409-stevens-candidates.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/10/us/politics/10stevens.html

1 comment:

  1. Good blog Katie. That is really scary, and I must admit I do not know who's running in our district either. I also like how you have links to your sources at the bottom there. Very professional :)

    ReplyDelete